PDA

View Full Version : Movie Making: What the effff?

WaLkAwaY
09-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Am I simply just not understanding something. I have read different threads on the subject but I am not grasping the concept I guess.

When it comes down to it all I want from the videos I am making from game footage is for people watching them to be able to read the in game typed text. That is all!

I guess I just am encoding improperly, or maybe using the wrong video card or setting for FRAPS?. Because when I make a video the words on screen come out distorted and blurry.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a certain codec or encoding I shoud be using? Mpeg4 over say mpeg2? Should the resolution on my screen be set lower than 1080p? Should fraps be running at full screen and without the FPS cap or not?

I do not know why I am having such an issue with this crap and on two different and completely opposite ends of the spectrum performance wise computers. The system I am trying to do this on follows.

Asus M4N98TD EVO
AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4Ghz
8 gigs of ram @1333
MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr 1G GDDR3 PCI Expres2.0
X-FI Titanium Fatality Pro
WD Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200RPM (x3) In RAID 5 configuration.
W7 64bit Ultimate
FRAPS v3.0.3 Build 10808 (not pirated)
Adobe Master Collection CS4 for video rendering.
LG W2240T 22? Flatron Monitor 1920x1080p
Samsung UN46C6300SF 46? LED TV 1920x1080p

Not looking for my hand to be held but a good noobie guide link would be nice.

SWAT_BigBear
09-10-2010, 11:03 PM
I think the blur is caused from Fraps recording at to high res. Try much smaller, like 720x480 and work your way up.

WaLkAwaY
09-10-2010, 11:11 PM
kk Where is Danny boy when I needs him?

and sorry for not being around much.

|KPF|MGJulius
09-11-2010, 02:15 PM
If you're going for quality of the text, I would try the resolution at half normal size, quality highest as you can get, and the fps low around 30. Text isn't gonna disappear in a blink of an eye so quality should take a preference over frame rate. FRAPS is a nice piece of software, but since its recording from outside the engine it takes A LOT more GPU power than a built in game recorder, but few games have those anymore.

Hope this helps.

SWAT_Dan
09-11-2010, 07:50 PM
kk Where is Danny boy when I needs him?

and sorry for not being around much.

I haven't been around the computer that much, I tried to reply but you have new color and font codes for every paragraph, and I got frustrated trying to trim down the quotes on my phone and gave up

What am I doing wrong? Is there a certain codec or encoding I shoud be using? Mpeg4 over say mpeg2? Should the resolution on my screen be set lower than 1080p? Should fraps be running at full screen and without the FPS cap or not?

I don't see a logical reason for using mpeg2... your best bet is to use a H.264 mp4, especially if you plan on uploading to youtube... Adobe has the presets already for YouTube HD already built into CS.

Text in games is typically fixed to a certain pixel height, so it won't be scaled as your screen gets bigger or smaller, which means it will typically only be legible if viewed at the resolution it was recorded at. Which means you have to be recording at 100%. Only about 18% of gamers even have screens that will be able to view 1080p footage without needing to scale it down, most of them would need to scale it significantly (see: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/). Also at 1080p you are likely to run into performance issues, it will be harder to play, and the files will be very difficult to work with, and even compressed most people probably wouldn't choose to view them streaming at 1080p... and downloading would lead to ridiculous file sizes. I can't see the practicality in recording over 720p.

Having text be legible throughout is always going to be an issue, video compression is a battle between quality and filesize... and text, especially the size that is used as copy text in games demands the absolute HIGHEST quality. Compression typically works by picking out the edges and filling in the area in-between... text is nothing but lots and lots (and lots) of edges. It is also usually in colors that compression is not too happy with, I don't know about H.264, but mpeg and DivX HATE loan patches of green, and red... which also happen to be 2 of the most common text colors in games... they turn into blurry globs of diarrhea under even pretty conservative compression.

I know we have had this discussion a couple of times and you don't want to do it, but the best was to call attention to that fine of type is to either pause or slow the action and zoom in, or to duplicate and enlarge the text box in an unused area of the screen, not only does it make it easier on the compression, but it also brings the viewer's attention to it.

The latest trend in compressing HD footage is MKV files... They are great at compressing HD video to usable sizes... they are typically used for TV and movies through, so I don't know if they will give you the quality you want... You can look for an adobe plugin, or export a very high quality version and run it through an MKV converter and see if you get the results you want, I haven't messed with them myself.

WaLkAwaY
09-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.