Thread: Bought a desktop

SWAT_Glock is offline Executive *S.W.A.T.* Member
    Administrator

Bought a desktop

Picked up the new Alienware X51-R3. Won't be here until 11/4. Here are some pics from a review.

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.4 Ghz water cooled
    Samsung 256GB SSD PCI-E boot drive at 1GB+ transfer rate.
    Toshiba 2TB storage drive
    16GB DDR4 2133MHz DRAM
    GTX 960 (a bit weak but I can upgrade it or get the graphics amplifier with any video card that I want)

big_alienware-x51-r3-side-lit.jpgbig_alienware-x51-r3-side-panel-off.jpgbig_alienware-x51-r3-ssd-and-pcie-riser.jpgbig_alienware-x51-r3-top-venting.jpgbig_alienware-x51-r3-with-graphics-amp-and-monitor.jpgbig_x51-r3-card-cage.jpgbig_x51-r3-geforce-gtx-960-card-cage.jpgbig_x51-r3-internals-graphics-card-out.jpgbig_x51-r3-internals-graphics-card-out2.jpgbig_x51-r3-internals-graphics-card-out3.jpg
    Last edited by SWAT_Glock; 10-17-2015 at 08:23 PM.

powerful and compact , how much ram on the 960?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAT_Raist79 View Post
    powerful and compact , how much ram on the 960?
    2GB on the 960. They offer a AMD Radeon R9 370 with 4GB for less but it doesn't have the 3 full size display ports that I need.

Glock I bought the same machine! Just minus watercooling. I added the graphics amplifier. Got my amplifier today, should have the PC by the 20th.

MCSA,MCDST,MCP,SCA,A+,Networking+

Home Rig - Alienware X51 / Mobile Rig Alienware 14

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAT_Sniper View Post
    Glock I bought the same machine! Just minus watercooling. I added the graphics amplifier. Got my amplifier today, should have the PC by the 20th.
    Cool. Mine got pushed back to the 27th now.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAT_Sniper View Post
    How is your X51? My order got all screw up and it was shipped to someone else. I fought for weeks to get my money back. I finally did and placed a new order 2 days ago. Dell gave me a $200 gift card for my troubles.

I only got the 2TB HDD this time and will add my own Samsung 950 Pro PCI-E SSD. I will remove the 3.5" 2TB drive and add my two Samsung 850 Pro SSDs. I have to get a caddy, dual power cable and two sata cables. My system doesn't have the optical drive since it has the liquid cooling so I have two open SATA ports on the MB for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT_Glock View Post
    How is your X51? My order got all screw up and it was shipped to someone else. I fought for weeks to get my money back. I finally did and placed a new order 2 days ago. Dell gave me a $200 gift card for my troubles.

I only got the 2TB HDD this time and will add my own Samsung 950 Pro PCI-E SSD. I will remove the 3.5" 2TB drive and add my two Samsung 850 Pro SSDs. I have to get a caddy, dual power cable and two sata cables. My system doesn't have the optical drive since it has the liquid cooling so I have two open SATA ports on the MB for them.

I am loving it! I am on the hunt for another video card (upgrade) to put in the external graphics amplifier.

MCSA,MCDST,MCP,SCA,A+,Networking+

Home Rig - Alienware X51 / Mobile Rig Alienware 14

How's this system so far? I saw a local ad of this system minus the liquid cool.